gimp2 install
Add Reply
Uli Wienands
2018-11-12 18:47:14 UTC
Hi, after Riccardo Mottola mentioned that he contributed a patch to gimp
to make Gimp 2.10 run under 10.6 I tried to install it.

The install went a fair amount but then died at xorg-xorgproto, whatever
that is, with the error:

Error: Failed to activate xorg-xorgproto: Image error:
/opt/local/include/X11/X.h is being used by the active tk port. Please
deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate xorg-xorgproto' to
force the activation.

I am attaching the logfile.

Incidentally: Why is /opt/local/var/macports hiden from the finder? I
had to use goto Folder to get there.

Thanks,

Uli
Ryan Schmidt
2018-11-12 18:52:14 UTC
Hi, after Riccardo Mottola mentioned that he contributed a patch to gimp to make Gimp 2.10 run under 10.6 I tried to install it.
Error: Failed to activate xorg-xorgproto: Image error: /opt/local/include/X11/X.h is being used by the active tk port. Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate xorg-xorgproto' to force the activation.
I am attaching the logfile.
I thought we fixed the tk port to no longer install that. Is your tk port up to date? Try selfupdating and upgrading tk.
Incidentally: Why is /opt/local/var/macports hiden from the finder? I had to use goto Folder to get there.
I guess we hid it for the same reason Apple hides Library folders for you.
Uli Wienands
2018-11-13 03:49:45 UTC
Given Ryan's comment I updated my Macports installation (was 2.4.2, now:
2.5.4), cleaned gimp2 and tried again... same error. I do this on a
10.6.8 machine, incidentally.

So is there anything else I should/could do?

Log file attached.

Thanks,

Uli
Chris Jones
2018-11-13 06:31:12 UTC
Given Ryan's comment I updated my Macports installation (was 2.4.2, now: 2.5.4),
Thats a huge jump... if you also had not updated your ports for that period as well, no surprise you are having problems now. Its really not a good idea to not update for that length of time...
cleaned gimp2 and tried again... same error. I do this on a 10.6.8 machine, incidentally.
So is there anything else I should/could do?
Gimp2 is not the problem, tk is.

You need to first upgrade this specific port.

Try
sudo port upgrade tk
And if that fails, report back.

Chris
Log file attached.
Thanks,
Uli
<main.log>
Uli Wienands
2018-11-14 02:33:52 UTC
Ok, so I did upgrade tk. That went ok, sort of. In the process of
upgrading tk it butchered several other ports ("found 61 broken files, 5
broken ports"). In the process of fixing those it ran aground trying to
install zstd. As a result, my octave 4.2.1 is now kaput :-(.

(Which explains why I do not routinely upgrade things. If it ain't broke
don't fix it.)

Anyway, pressing on with gimp2. xorg-xorgproto now does install.
Eventually it dies at zstd again. (port installed does not list zstd so
I do not appear to have an older version installed).

As usual, log file attached.

Thanks,

Uli
<main.log>
Ken Cunningham
2018-11-14 02:47:59 UTC
$ port -v installed zstd
zstd @1.3.4_0 (active) platform='darwin 10' archs='x86_64' date='2018-09-03T16:17:32-0700'

zstd builds on 10.6.8 with a newer compiler. I used clang-3.9.

Nobody on a newer system could know this, so they rely on us "archeologists" to find these and blacklist compilers that don't work.

<main.log>
Ken Cunningham
2018-11-14 03:40:21 UTC
Probably same deal. Compiler is too old.

This ancient relic:

/usr/bin/gcc-4.2

can't build much of anything anymore, and it's getting worse by the day.

Abandon 2004!

Ok, now I am really getting confused.
I cleaned zstd and installed it by itself. That actually worked; it even pulled a binary.
Still left with broken ports I let it attempt to fix these only for the thing to crap out at, you guessed it, zstd. WTF?
zstd is installed, same signature as Ken's upon port installed.
But now Macports has butchered gcc 46, gcc5 and gcc6 and ghostscript. Not nice!
Anyway, trying gimp2 again. Now I get a message about all compilers being blacklisted...
Then it wants to build zstd again. I tell it no and it goes on anyway. Eventually it begins rebuilding ghostscript (one of the broken ports). It actually seems to download a binary first but then goes on to get the distfiles and building it. This fails for reasons I cannot tell.
logfile attached.
Am I completely hosed now? I mean, how does this get so messed up just trying to install one port (even if a complicated one)?
Uli
$ port -v installed zstd
<main.log>
Ken Cunningham
2018-11-14 04:35:06 UTC
Post by Ken Cunningham
Abandon 2004!
OK. You might want to know what I mean by that.

Snow Leopard can build and run a very great amount of current software. But you need to use a newer compiler and stdlib setup to make that work smoothly.

I suggest you do what I do:

run through the <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/LibcxxOnOlderSystems <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/LibcxxOnOlderSystems>> instructions that our Apple genius, Jeremy, set up for us.

Set your default compiler to something new, but not too new, like clang-3.9. That is (currently) about perfect (= about clang 900).

Then your MacPorts installation will munch on through and install 99% of everything without you even knowing that gcc-4.2 doesn’t work. And really — who cares if gcc-4.2 doesn’t work?

All the software the current committers are committing will most likely work, because your system looks almost exactly like their system.

Your only issue might be Xcode builds, and much of that is fixable as well.

There is very little I can’t build on SnowLeopard with this setup.

Ken
Uli Wienands
2018-11-14 04:58:08 UTC
Ken, thanks much. This looks quite attractive.

At present I have clang 3.4, 3.7 and 5.0 installed. Don't know why not
3.9 but then, none of these were deliberately installed anyway, all
pulled in as dependencies. But I gather from the file you reference
below this is not enough. In fact, it seems like to follow that I really
should get rid of all the MacPorts stuff and start from scratch. Or is
that too extreme?

Another question is about software (not in MacPorts) that relies on the
gcc compilers (gcc, gfortran). Do I run the risk that I cannot build
that anymore? This isn't my own stuff but progs I get from others so I
don't control what they need. Will gcc still build? The specific package
I am thinking about is a cli program using Xwindows, so macOS GUI stuff
is not a concern.

Thanks much,

Uli
PS: No I won't abandon 2004. I dislike the direction that macOS/OS X has
taken so I am clinging to 10.6; the last version I actually liked.
On Nov 13, 2018, at 7:40 PM, Ken Cunningham
Ken
Riccardo Mottola via macports-users
2018-11-14 17:29:30 UTC
Hi Uli,
Post by Uli Wienands
At present I have clang 3.4, 3.7 and 5.0 installed. Don't know why not
3.9 but then, none of these were deliberately installed anyway, all
pulled in as dependencies. But I gather from the file you reference
below this is not enough. In fact, it seems like to follow that I
really should get rid of all the MacPorts stuff and start from
scratch. Or is that too extreme?
In my experience when compiling stuff on these older systems (10.5 and
10.6) clang 3.9 is very good... usually it is quite enough, yet works
well! gcc 6 is the other "good one". Both are recent enough...
Post by Uli Wienands
Another question is about software (not in MacPorts) that relies on
the gcc compilers (gcc, gfortran). Do I run the risk that I cannot
build that anymore? This isn't my own stuff but progs I get from
others so I don't control what they need. Will gcc still build? The
specific package I am thinking about is a cli program using Xwindows,
so macOS GUI stuff is not a concern.
You still keep XCode's compiler, MacPorts gives you added compilers for
compiling stuff which can be useful! Why do you worry?
MacPorts compiler can also compile MacOS GUI stuff - up to a certain
point when the compiler is too new and has issues with older SDK's.

Riccardo
Ken Cunningham
2018-11-14 17:47:46 UTC
You still keep XCode's compiler, MacPorts gives you added compilers for compiling stuff which can be useful! Why do you worry?
MacPorts compiler can also compile MacOS GUI stuff - up to a certain point when the compiler is too new and has issues with older SDK's.
clang-3.9 is a real sweet spot. New enough to do build almost anything, but not so new as to generate tons of needless errors building software that needs to be tweaked for the latest compiler checks to pass.

Indeed, depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

You can symlink current MacPorts compilers into the 10.6.8 Xcode toolpath and use the new compilers to build all kinds of things that were never imagined possible.

Eventually you run into a problem with the Apple Frameworks being too out of date to support the more modern SDK features the software is calling for, but EVEN THIS is not a hard limit.

See <https://sourceforge.net/p/leopard-webkit/wiki/Home/> for an idea just how far you can go with this...

At some point, it is no longer worth the effort. I have this laptop dual booting 10.6.8 (which I use all day) and 10.13 (which I use afterwards). Best of all worlds.

Ken
Ken Cunningham
2018-11-14 05:22:47 UTC
it ran aground trying to install zstd.
A little prospecting shows that the tiff port was recently updated to include zstd support

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/c4b50f5d455c061ebf22697a4e4a5a083cff43f8#diff-106d68a6fc0ac0134ae9bc83fcfe8dee <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/c4b50f5d455c061ebf22697a4e4a5a083cff43f8#diff-106d68a6fc0ac0134ae9bc83fcfe8dee>

however, zstd is pretty touchy, it appears, and requires newer compilers to handle the assembly.

SO - zstd will need some attention to make this work, now that far more people will be wanting to install it. You won’t be the only person with this issue this week.
I have clang 3.4, 3.7 and 5.0 installed
Any of those will likely build zstd without too much trouble.

Try

sudo port -v install zstd configure.compiler=macports-clang-5.0

and I suspect you’ll get it done

Ken
Ryan Schmidt
2018-11-14 06:31:01 UTC
Ok, so I did upgrade tk. That went ok, sort of. In the process of upgrading tk it butchered several other ports ("found 61 broken files, 5 broken ports"). In the process of fixing those it ran aground trying to install zstd. As a result, my octave 4.2.1 is now kaput :-(.
(Which explains why I do not routinely upgrade things. If it ain't broke don't fix it.)
Anyway, pressing on with gimp2. xorg-xorgproto now does install. Eventually it dies at zstd again. (port installed does not list zstd so I do not appear to have an older version installed).
zstd is a new dependency of the tiff port as of version 4.0.10. It's optional, but I decided to enable it always, for simplicity. If this causes problems, we can change tiff's zstd support to a variant.

The log shows you're building universal on 10.6. That (specifically building the 32-bit part on 10.6) is indeed something that does not currently work for zstd. See https://trac.macports.org/ticket/57544.
Riccardo Mottola via macports-users
2018-11-14 17:17:25 UTC
Hi!
Post by Ryan Schmidt
zstd is a new dependency of the tiff port as of version 4.0.10. It's optional, but I decided to enable it always, for simplicity. If this causes problems, we can change tiff's zstd support to a variant.
The log shows you're building universal on 10.6. That (specifically building the 32-bit part on 10.6) is indeed something that does not currently work for zstd. Seehttps://trac.macports.org/ticket/57544.
I was about to ask - since I have gimp2 of course on my 10.6 and did not
run into issues - I build 64bit only for gimp on my system.

I wonder if this will cause issues on my 10.5 at the next upgrade, since
it is 32bit form me.. I'll see.

Riccardo
Ryan Schmidt
2018-11-14 19:55:58 UTC
I wonder if this will cause issues on my 10.5 at the next upgrade, since it is 32bit form me.. I'll see.
zstd and tiff built successfully on our 10.5 PowerPC builder. The problem may be specific to 32-bit Intel, or it may be specific to Snow Leopard.
Ulrich Wienands

Ryan Schmidt
2018-11-14 20:05:49 UTC
Post by Ulrich Wienands
Post by Ryan Schmidt
[...]
You can run "sudo port install gimp2" to install gimp2 with the default set of variants, however that won't change the variants of its installed dependencies, such as tiff, so that won't solve the problem.

Universal is not the default; you or something requested it at some point. If you didn't ask for it by using "+universal" when installing tiff, then you may have installed a port that required tiff to be universal.

One common culprit is wine. It used to be 32-bit only, but even now that it includes 64-bit support, that 64-bit support requires the 32-bit parts, so it requires a universal build of itself and its dependencies. If you have wine installed, or if you at one point tried to install wine, that explains why MacPorts is trying to build you a universal tiff.

If you haven't used wine, then you may have installed (or tried to install) a port that is 32-bit only. If so, MacPorts would automatically install its dependencies universal. Those dependencies may have included tiff.

You could look through the list of ports that you've installed that are installed 32-bit only:

port -v installed | grep "'i386'"

For any ports listed by that command, you could check whether you still need that port, and if so, whether that port's dependencies include tiff. For example if you have the port "FOO" installed and you want to check if it depends on tiff:

port rdeps FOO | grep tiff

If it does, that explains why you need tiff universal.

If you've uninstalled all the 32-bit-only ports that need tiff, then you could look at any remaining ports that use the universal variant:

port installed | grep universal

There's now presumably no remaining need for those to be universal, and you could reinstall each of them without the universal variant.
Ulrich Wienands

Chris Jones
2018-11-14 09:30:25 UTC
Post by Uli Wienands
Ok, so I did upgrade tk. That went ok, sort of. In the process of
upgrading tk it butchered several other ports ("found 61 broken files, 5
broken ports"). In the process of fixing those it ran aground trying to
install zstd. As a result, my octave 4.2.1 is now kaput :-(.
(Which explains why I do not routinely upgrade things. If it ain't broke
don't fix it.)
chicken and egg. The update likely only broke *because* you do it so
infrequently. If you update regularly there is a lot less chance of
problems, as each update is much more incremental.
Mojca Miklavec
2018-11-14 11:59:52 UTC
Post by Chris Jones
Post by Uli Wienands
Ok, so I did upgrade tk. That went ok, sort of. In the process of
upgrading tk it butchered several other ports ("found 61 broken files, 5
broken ports"). In the process of fixing those it ran aground trying to
install zstd. As a result, my octave 4.2.1 is now kaput :-(.
(Which explains why I do not routinely upgrade things. If it ain't broke
don't fix it.)
chicken and egg. The update likely only broke *because* you do it so
infrequently. If you update regularly there is a lot less chance of
problems, as each update is much more incremental.
It's worth noting that one will almost definitely get something broken
when updating just a few ports at a time. Of course you can start
updating a few, but then you still need to run "sudo port upgrade
outdated" at the end, as well as perhaps make sure that some ports are
not accidentally pinned at an older version (I'm not sure about the
easiest and most reliable way to do that check).

From the above text it's not clear whether other ports were upgraded or not.

Mojca
Riccardo Mottola via macports-users
2018-11-13 15:07:44 UTC
Hi Uli!
Post by Uli Wienands
Hi, after Riccardo Mottola mentioned that he contributed a patch to
gimp to make Gimp 2.10 run under 10.6 I tried to install it.
cool :) I suppos eyou atre trying the Quartz variant.
I don't know about your install problem, but it is not direclty gimp
related.

You might have issues with GTK3... I don't know if my patches were all
accepted, let's see. Proceed with updating all your macports cleanly first!

32bit or 64bit? I am on 64bit.

I have a minimal motiviation continuing work and trying 10.5/32bit, but
it requires substiantial stuff, I'd just love to have gimp on my MacBook.

Riccardo
Ulrich Wienands
2018-11-13 16:51:32 UTC
Yes, I am very interested in the Quartz variant. Chris suggested I need to upgrade my tk so I’ll do that soonest, probably tonight. I’ll check into GTK if I stil have problems after that.

BTW, I am using your Intel version of Tenfourfox as well. I does run nicely by and large, although I have had it choke on a few sites (not necessarily reproducibly so). If you are interested in error reports I shall send you some, otherwise I am honoring Cameron’s request to not bug you about it. All this is on a MacBook pro of 2009 vintage that runs really well on 10.6 so I don’t want to upgrade it.

Anyway, thanks for your help,

Uli
Hi Uli!
Riccardo
Riccardo Mottola via macports-users
2018-11-16 00:31:52 UTC
Hi,

I just run update on my box...
Post by Ryan Schmidt
Post by Riccardo Mottola via macports-users
I wonder if this will cause issues on my 10.5 at the next upgrade,
since it
is 32bit form me.. I'll see.
zstd and tiff built successfully on our 10.5 PowerPC builder. The
problem may
be specific to 32-bit Intel, or it may be specific to Snow Leopard.
It fails for me on 10.5 32bit intel this way:

/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -Os -arch i386 -Wall -Wextra -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
-Wshadow -Wstrict-aliasing=1 -Wswitch-enum
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef
-Wpointer-arith -Wformat-security -Wformat=2 -Winit-self -Wfloat-equal
-Wwrite-strings -Wredundant-decls -I. -I./common
-DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy -DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4 -c -o
compress/huf_compress.o compress/huf_compress.c
/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -Os -arch i386 -Wall -Wextra -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
-Wshadow -Wstrict-aliasing=1 -Wswitch-enum
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef
-Wpointer-arith -Wformat-security -Wformat=2 -Winit-self -Wfloat-equal
-Wwrite-strings -Wredundant-decls -I. -I./common
-DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy -DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4 -c -o
compress/zstd_compress.o compress/zstd_compress.c
In file included from compress/zstd_compress.c:24:
./common/cpu.h: In function ?ZSTD_cpuid?:
./common/cpu.h:76: error: expected string literal before ?)? token
make[1]: *** [compress/zstd_compress.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_archivers_zstd/zstd/work/zstd-1.3.4/lib'
make: *** [allzstd] Error 2
make: Leaving directory
`/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_archivers_zstd/zstd/work/zstd-1.3.4'

clearly the apple compiler doesn't like some code there...
specifically it is asm code there.

Checking that, I have backported a small fix.
I attach it!

It makes things compile, but fail a little later:

/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -Os -arch i386 -Wall -Wextra -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align
-Wshadow -Wstrict-aliasing=1 -Wswitch-enum
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wstrict-prototypes -Wundef
-Wpointer-arith -Wformat-security -Wformat=2 -Winit-self -Wfloat-equal
-Wwrite-strings -Wredundant-decls -I. -I./common
-DXXH_NAMESPACE=ZSTD_ -I./legacy -DZSTD_LEGACY_SUPPORT=4 -c -o
compress/zstd_fast.o compress/zstd_fast.c
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_archivers_zstd/zstd/work/.tmp/cc).co70.s:899:Junk
character 13 (
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_archivers_zstd/zstd/work/.tmp/cc8Vco70.s:899:Rest
of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 112 (p).
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_archivers_zstd/zstd/work/.tmp/cc).co70.s:2502:Junk
character 13 (
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_archivers_zstd/zstd/work/.tmp/cc8Vco70.s:2502:Rest
of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 112 (p).
make[1]: *** [compress/zstd_compress.o] Error 1

now here I am at loss, perhaps there is another fix, but... something
in the generated source?
I cannot access the failures so I can't see it.

Riccardo

<zstd-backport.patch>
Riccardo Mottola via macports-users
2018-11-16 01:14:56 UTC
Hi,

as you thought, it is specific ASM stuff, so the typos are relative to
a precise architecture only,
Post by Ryan Schmidt
Post by Riccardo Mottola via macports-users
I wonder if this will cause issues on my 10.5 at the next upgrade,
since it
is 32bit form me.. I'll see.
zstd and tiff built successfully on our 10.5 PowerPC builder. The
problem may
be specific to 32-bit Intel, or it may be specific to Snow Leopard.
the previous patch was incomplete! Get this one... not just a
backport, I had to fix the ASM stuff!
I rock! Late in the night.. but this fixes 32bit intel.

Riccardo

<zstd-backport-fix-asm.patch>
Ryan Schmidt
2018-11-16 09:02:19 UTC
Post by Ryan Schmidt
I wonder if this will cause issues on my 10.5 at the next upgrade, since it is 32bit form me.. I'll see.
zstd and tiff built successfully on our 10.5 PowerPC builder. The problem may be specific to 32-bit Intel, or it may be specific to Snow Leopard.
the previous patch was incomplete! Get this one... not just a backport, I had to fix the ASM stuff!
I rock! Late in the night.. but this fixes 32bit intel.
Riccardo
<zstd-backport-fix-asm.patch>
<zstd-backport-fix-asm.patch>
Thanks, well done.

The first patch was already applied upstream and is in 1.3.7; as I said we should update to that version.

https://github.com/facebook/zstd/commit/16bb8f1f9e8ec952458be9681a125d29627cdde9

I have submitted a PR to the developers to make the relevant part of the second change:

https://github.com/facebook/zstd/pull/1418

I will submit a PR to update our port to 1.3.7 and include that patch.
Uli Wienands
2018-11-17 16:03:19 UTC
Well, some progress: I was able to get over the hump by not updating all
dependencies (-n switch), given that I actually have older versions of
e.g. zstd and libtiff already installed. Much to my amazement gimp2
actually built. And it even runs, albeit complaining bitterly about tiff
being out of date, D-Bus not running and some other assorted odds and ends.

That said, it actually opens tiff (16 bit) files and jpegs just fine and
seems to save as well.

However, as I expected it is the Xwindows version. To get the macOS GUI
I assume I need to use the variant quartz. But, do I need to completely
hose the present install or can I just deactivate it? I'd kind-of like
to keep the Xwindows version around in case I cannot get the macOS GUI
version to work. Already it is better than what I had before.

Thanks,

Uli
Ryan Schmidt
2018-11-19 13:13:39 UTC
Well, some progress: I was able to get over the hump by not updating all dependencies (-n switch),
That is not a good idea. You can end up with ports in a broken state. However, rev-upgrade should fix that, if so.

The PR I submitted has been merged, so there shouldn't be any further problems, if you selfupdate and upgrade outdated now.
given that I actually have older versions of e.g. zstd and libtiff already installed. Much to my amazement gimp2 actually built. And it even runs, albeit complaining bitterly about tiff being out of date, D-Bus not running and some other assorted odds and ends.
That said, it actually opens tiff (16 bit) files and jpegs just fine and seems to save as well.
However, as I expected it is the Xwindows version. To get the macOS GUI I assume I need to use the variant quartz. But, do I need to completely hose the present install or can I just deactivate it? I'd kind-of like to keep the Xwindows version around in case I cannot get the macOS GUI version to work. Already it is better than what I had before.
If you wish to switch from X11 ports to Quartz ports or vice versa, it is recommended that you uninstall all ports first, so that there is no inadvertent mixing of capabilities. If you want to switch to Quartz ports, then add "+quartz" to variants.conf.