Gimp doesn't start
Add Reply
Christoph Kukulies
2018-11-27 12:10:49 UTC
macOS mojave 10.14.1.

I did a port install gimp. In the end the icon is there in the Apps launcher. Clicking on the icon results in nothing happening.

Any ideas?

Christoph
Vincent Habchi
2018-11-27 14:34:07 UTC
Post by Christoph Kukulies
macOS mojave 10.14.1.
I did a port install gimp. In the end the icon is there in the Apps launcher. Clicking on the icon results in nothing happening.
Try to launch it from Terminal and look for error messages.

Say, like, typing a line like this at the prompt (note that “Gimp.app” is a wild guess):

/Applications/MacPorts/Gimp.app/Contents/MacOS/Gimp.app (use the TAB key to trigger autocompletion)

Also, did you install X11? I’m not 100% certain, but last time I checked GIMP still needed X11 to run.

V.
Nathan Brazil

V.
Christoph Kukulies
2018-11-28 07:29:40 UTC
I tried the following:

Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ pwd
/Applications/MacPorts/GIMP.app/Contents/MacOS
Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ ls
GIMP
Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ file GIMP
GIMP: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ ./GIMP
2018-11-28 08:23:18.176 GIMP[86714:1924234] Failed to connect (cancelButton) outlet from (ScriptExecController) to (NSButton): missing setter or instance variable
2018-11-28 08:23:18.176 GIMP[86714:1924234] Failed to connect (messageTextField) outlet from (ScriptExecController) to (NSTextField): missing setter or instance variable
Anzeige kann nicht geöffnet werden:

This looks like similar to the usual „cannot open DISPLAY“ in X11

I remember a lot of X11 dependencies being installed together with the GIMP port.

Well, when it would be so easy to just take the App from gimp.org, I’d think it wouldn’t be worth scratching head with this
but OTOH, with having the whole port install being done already I might be close to get it working.

—
Christoph
V.
Ruben Di Battista
V.
Christoph Kukulies
2018-11-28 08:31:44 UTC
OK, I did:

Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ sudo port install gimp +quartz
Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider updating them by running 'port selfupdate'.
---> Computing dependencies for gimp
---> Fetching archive for gimp
Warning: Your DNS servers incorrectly claim to know the address of nonexistent hosts. This may cause checksum mismatches for some ports. See this page for more information: <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MisbehavingServers>
---> Attempting to fetch gimp-2.10.6_0+quartz.darwin_18.noarch.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/gimp
---> Attempting to fetch gimp-2.10.6_0+quartz.darwin_18.noarch.tbz2 from http://nue.de.packages.macports.org/gimp
---> Attempting to fetch gimp-2.10.6_0+quartz.darwin_18.noarch.tbz2 from http://lil.fr.packages.macports.org/gimp
---> Fetching distfiles for gimp
---> Verifying checksums for gimp
---> Extracting gimp
---> Configuring gimp
---> Building gimp
---> Staging gimp into destroot
---> Installing gimp @2.10.6_0+quartz
---> Deactivating gimp @2.10.6_0
---> Cleaning gimp
---> Activating gimp @2.10.6_0+quartz
---> Cleaning gimp
---> Scanning binaries for linking errors
---> No broken files found.
---> No broken ports found.

Same picture. Clicking on the Gimp icon in the launcher doesn’t result in anything happening and running the app ./GIMP gives the same error message.

—
Christoph
Well, when it would be so easy to just take the App from gimp.org <http://gimp.org/>, I’d think it wouldn’t be worth scratching head with this
Or, try downloading a native package from https://www.gimp.org/downloads/ <https://www.gimp.org/downloads/>
V.
Ruben Di Battista
2018-11-28 08:34:33 UTC
Open a new terninal and run `gimp` directly from the terminal and not from
the app directory... It's very strange.
Post by Christoph Kukulies
[...]
Am 28.11.2018 um 09:23 schrieb Ruben Di Battista <
V.
Ryan Schmidt
2018-11-28 17:40:21 UTC
Try to install it with `+quartz` variant. I installed it like this on Mojave and it works as expected...
If you want to do this, first uninstall all ports. There are some exceptions, but you generally shouldn't mix +x11 ports with +quartz ports.
Vincent Habchi
2018-11-28 09:07:30 UTC
Post by Christoph Kukulies
Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ pwd
/Applications/MacPorts/GIMP.app/Contents/MacOS
Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ ls
GIMP
Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ file GIMP
GIMP: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ ./GIMP
2018-11-28 08:23:18.176 GIMP[86714:1924234] Failed to connect (cancelButton) outlet from (ScriptExecController) to (NSButton): missing setter or instance variable
2018-11-28 08:23:18.176 GIMP[86714:1924234] Failed to connect (messageTextField) outlet from (ScriptExecController) to (NSTextField): missing setter or instance variable
Nah. This is not X11 related but Cocoa-. It means the underlying handling code for some UI elements is missing, which is rather strange.
When you launch GIMP, do you (briefly) see the X11 icon popping up?

Did you installed GTK3 with the +quartz variant too?

Viel Glück :/

V.
Riccardo Mottola via macports-users
2018-11-28 10:26:03 UTC
Hi,
Post by Vincent Habchi
Nah. This is not X11 related but Cocoa-. It means the underlying handling code for some UI elements is missing, which is rather strange.
When you launch GIMP, do you (briefly) see the X11 icon popping up?
Did you installed GTK3 with the +quartz variant too?
I would suggest installing gimp by using "+quartz -x11" so that you
don't get some of the dependencies built as X11.

Maybe uninstall gimp, do port reclaim, then retry.

Riccardo
Christoph Kukulies
2018-11-28 18:06:20 UTC
Thanks to all. It works.

sudo port uninstall gimp
sudo port reclaim
sudo port install gimp +quartz -x11

did the job and the app starts fine from the launcher view.

Christoph
Hi,
Riccardo
Ryan Schmidt
2018-11-28 17:45:21 UTC
Post by Christoph Kukulies
Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ pwd
/Applications/MacPorts/GIMP.app/Contents/MacOS
Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ ls
GIMP
Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ file GIMP
GIMP: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
Christophs-MBP:MacOS kuku$ ./GIMP
2018-11-28 08:23:18.176 GIMP[86714:1924234] Failed to connect (cancelButton) outlet from (ScriptExecController) to (NSButton): missing setter or instance variable
2018-11-28 08:23:18.176 GIMP[86714:1924234] Failed to connect (messageTextField) outlet from (ScriptExecController) to (NSTextField): missing setter or instance variable
You should report these "Failed to connect outlet" errors to the developers of GIMP so that they can fix them. We've seen these errors 3 years ago already, as shown tangentially in this ticket:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/50680
Post by Christoph Kukulies
This looks like similar to the usual „cannot open DISPLAY“ in X11
Possibly. Is your DISPLAY environment variable set to its correct value (it is by default on Mac OS X 10.5 and later)? Do you get the same problem if you launch X11.app (or XQuartz.app) first?