Help please
Add Reply
j***@tigger.ws
2018-11-15 05:50:10 UTC
I have installed macports many times, so I’m not naive about what to do. I’ve never seen this. Can anyone point out my way forward:

[twill] /Users/jam [15]% ping rsync.macports.org
PING ftp.rrze.uni-erlangen.de (131.188.12.211): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 131.188.12.211: icmp_seq=0 ttl=41 time=541.214 ms
64 bytes from 131.188.12.211: icmp_seq=1 ttl=41 time=457.434 ms

^C
--- ftp.rrze.uni-erlangen.de ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 9 packets received, 10.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 440.591/552.447/681.501/79.577 ms

[twill] /Users/jam [16]% sudo port -v selfupdate
Password:
---> Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-52/rsync/clientserver.c(106) [receiver=2.6.9]
Command failed: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzvl --delete-after rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/base.tar /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs
Exit code: 10

James
j***@tigger.ws
2018-11-15 06:11:08 UTC
Is the wiki wrong?
This does not look correct:

[twill] /Users/jam [24]% tail -n 2 /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
# rsync://rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports.tar [default]
https://distfiles.macports.org/ports.tar.gz [default]

[twill] /Users/jam [25]% sudo port -v selfupdate

James
Ryan Schmidt
You apparently can't connect to our rsync server. Various network conditions or firewall or antivirus software could cause that. If you cannot resolve it by working with your network administrator or by uninstalling the software that's causing the problem, then you will not be able to use selfupdate (you'll have to update MacPorts base by downloading the installer from our web site) and you will need to configure MacPorts to use a method other than rsync for sync (for when you want to update your ports tree). One method is to use the ports.tar.gz file, as you've discovered from reading the wiki.
j***@tigger.ws
2018-11-15 06:51:17 UTC
Post by Ryan Schmidt
Post by j***@tigger.ws
Is the wiki wrong?
[...]
Ryan thanks. You are correct, the only hard bit is I am the network admin for my network. I also run 1/2 dox macport installations that all work. Check check oops they don’t!!!

The new bit is a Telstra NBN modem (for Aus’s new high speed broadband.) If any Aus user has tamed the Telstra NBN modem please tell me what and how.

Sorry for the noise
James
Dave Horsfall
2018-11-15 07:41:19 UTC
The new bit is a Telstra NBN modem (for Aus’s new high speed broadband.)
If any Aus user has tamed the Telstra NBN modem please tell me what and
how.
I've had no problem with my NBN stuff; the wireless router connects to the
NBN thing, and the Mac talks wireless to the router i.e. it "just works".

One problem I do see from time to time is that the Mac drops its bundle
whenever the router is "upgraded" in the middle of the night; you need to
turn WiFi off then on again on the Mac (looks like a Mac bug; no other
wireless device here has any problems when the router resets).

I don't recall doing anything special, apart from locking an IP address
for the Mac in the router itself so it can be accessed from the rest of my
network.

-- Dave
Ryan Schmidt
2018-11-16 03:14:17 UTC
Post by j***@tigger.ws
The new bit is a Telstra NBN modem (for Aus’s new high speed broadband.) If any Aus user has tamed the Telstra NBN modem please tell me what and how.
Have you tried using a closer mirror instead of the master (which is in Germany)?

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors

You can separately configure where base is downloaded from during selfupdate (macports.conf) and where ports are downloaded from during selfupdate or sync (sources.conf).

We have a mirror in Australia, unfortunately for some reason they don't mirror base. I'll have to have a word with them about that. Maybe there is another mirror that's closer to you than the master. Maybe try the one in New Caledonia.

The Australian mirror does mirror ports, so you could use it for that.

Trying different servers could also be a troubleshooting step to narrow down whether it's a problem with all rsync traffic or just with reaching specific servers.
Al Varnell via macports-users
2018-11-16 03:16:58 UTC
Just don't use the one in Seattle as it has been down since July and all our inquiries have gone unanswered.

-Al-
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors>
James Linder
2018-11-16 04:28:16 UTC
Post by Ryan Schmidt
Post by j***@tigger.ws
[...]
Ryan thanks.
The problem is definately the modem. I turned OFF the firewall (actually I need to think thru, why would the modem have a firewall at all, unless bad guys can login to the modem …) and rsync ran perfectly. I tried but was not able to make a modem firewall rule for rsync.
So turn off firewall, selfupdate, turn on is pretty painless.

James
Dave Horsfall
2018-11-16 21:24:11 UTC
Post by James Linder
The problem is definately the modem. I turned OFF the firewall (actually
I need to think thru, why would the modem have a firewall at all, unless
bad guys can login to the modem
) and rsync ran perfectly. I tried but
was not able to make a modem firewall rule for rsync. So turn off
firewall, selfupdate, turn on is pretty painless.
Again, as an Aussie NBN user I have had zero problems with it, and I
didn't have to do anything special (other than port-redirects to my
FreeBSD server). You are with T$, aren't you, with the Fast 5355 router?

And yes, you *do* need the firewall enabled, to at least "Medium" i.e.
inbound traffic only in response to outbound traffic, and block everything
below NetBIOS.

You do have remote access disabled, don't you? And even then, T$ can
"upgrade" your firmware in the middle of the night, and the first you know
about it is when the Mac has dropped the WiFi connection and failed to
restart (you need to disable/enable it, and hope that it gloms onto the
right service).

-- Dave
Russell Jones
2018-11-17 14:34:31 UTC
Post by j***@tigger.ws
Post by Ryan Schmidt
Post by j***@tigger.ws
[...]
Have you tried explicitly opening 873/tcp outgoing?

Have you tried using iftop or wireshark to see what is/isn't being
co
James Linder
2018-11-15 08:36:27 UTC
Post by Ryan Schmidt
Post by j***@tigger.ws
Is the wiki wrong?
[...]
I can’t believe that I am the only Aussie macports user plagued by the problem.
I went to Access Control->firewall and turned it OFF during the selfupdate. I was not able to make a rule that worked for rsync

Jame
Dave Horsfall
2018-11-15 20:48:51 UTC
I can’t believe that I am the only Aussie macports user plagued by the
problem.
Apparently...
I went to Access Control->firewall and turned it OFF during the
selfupdate. I was not able to make a rule that worked for rsync
What about the Mac's built-in firewall? I have it turned off, because I
don't need it (the Fast-5355 router supplied with the NBN does that for
me; nothing can reach the Mac except in response to outbound traffic).

-- Dave
Kok-Yong Tan
2018-11-16 02:00:50 UTC
I would suggest doing a hundred count ping to a host inside and outside Oz and seeing how many dropped packets occur. Also, one to your router. That should give you some idea of where your network issues are occurring as what you’re experiencing is almost certainly a network connectivity issue (from the symptoms) and nothing to do with Macports.

--
Sent from my silver iPhone6+ with iOS9, so still necessarily brief & potentially typo-speckled.
-- Dave
Bill Cole
2018-11-15 07:09:58 UTC
Post by j***@tigger.ws
I have installed macports many times, so I’m not naive about what to
[twill] /Users/jam [15]% ping rsync.macports.org
PING ftp.rrze.uni-erlangen.de (131.188.12.211): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 131.188.12.211: icmp_seq=0 ttl=41 time=541.214 ms
64 bytes from 131.188.12.211: icmp_seq=1 ttl=41 time=457.434 ms

^C
--- ftp.rrze.uni-erlangen.de ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 9 packets received, 10.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 440.591/552.447/681.501/79.577 ms
You have a somewhat poor connection to rsync.macports.org, which is (as
implied by the canonical name) in Germany. Even assuming that the lost
packet is an artifact of the ^C and hence ignorable, the TTL on the
replies says that you're 24 hops away and the times are long and very
noisy. Are you in Australia? New Zealand? The Maldives? An
over-subscribed dialup link in a flat in Berlin?
Post by j***@tigger.ws
[twill] /Users/jam [16]% sudo port -v selfupdate
---> Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
That's what one would expect from a VERY poor link, something much worse
than your ping results would imply. Or from a path that simply isn't
letting the rsync traffic through at all. This is absolutely a
networking problem.

If you've been able to sync or selfupdate on the same link before, it
isn't something inherent in your local network. If you were running
something like LittleSnitch or LuLu you'd know it and probably get an
alert regarding the blocked traffic or at least have experience with
mysterious outbound blockages.

My *guess* is that this is outside of your control and that it will
clear up in a relatively short time: hours to maybe a day or two.
There's been substantial weirdness in global routing this week (A
Nigerian ISP hijacked Google's & CloudFlare's traffic and aimed it at
China by way of Russia, where it was blackholed. Not kidding.) It would
not be a surprise to see a lot of transit providers, particularly
inter-continental ones, making lots of new tighter route filtering
policies on an urgent basis all at once and relying on the network to
eventually stabilize after a period of strange behavior. Apart from the
"oops" in Nigeria, there's been some press recently about China Telecom
doing sketchy things with their routing to make networks paranoid.
--
Bill Cole
***@scconsult.com or ***@apache.org
James Linder
2018-11-17 02:05:38 UTC
Post by James Linder
I went to Access Control->firewall and turned it OFF during the
selfupdate. I was not able to make a rule that worked for rsync
What about the Mac's built-in firewall? I have it turned off, because I
don't need it (the Fast-5355 router supplied with the NBN does that for
me; nothing can reach the Mac except in response to outbound traffic).
This drifts to OT sorry.
My mac(s) have no firewall on.
I speculate that if the problem is not widespread then telstra delivered other modems with the firewall switched off.
I have a single port forward on port (what the heck) 2234 for ssh.
That is the only access from outside to my mac.
Why on earth would would the modem have a firewall? (but their firmware is ratty so maybe thet are protecting their modem)
Their technical support is of the ‘connect your windows machine to the modem’ level, not more.

In any event the macports rsync issue is the modem firewall
Thanks for the help
James
Dave Horsfall
2018-11-17 21:49:58 UTC
Post by James Linder
Why on earth would would the modem have a firewall? (but their firmware
is ratty so maybe thet are protecting their modem)
Because it's not so much a modem as a router. If anything can be said to
be the modem then it's the NBN box itself, converting the VDSL (if FTTN)
or fibre (if FTTP) to a gigabit WAN connection to the router.

Please understand network terminology before using it.

And yes, the T$ helldesks are utterly clueless, since being outsourced to
Asia; they merely read from a script.

But this is getting grossly OT, and the problem would appear to lie fairly
and squarely with your kit.

-- Dave
James Linder
2018-11-18 00:46:17 UTC
Post by Dave Horsfall
Post by James Linder
[...]
My motivation in continuing this thread is that unless macports users are rare in Aussie (how sad that would be) then other macport users are certain to have the magic big T$ modem. (T$ is joke reference to Telstra)
I do not use the modem wifi, apple do not play nice with furren AC modems (my tests are 5Mb / sec close to a tp link and 35Mb to an airport using my macbook)
Dave I do not understand your
Post by Dave Horsfall
And yes, you *do* need the firewall enabled
Any out going packet will be NAT’d and allowed back
Any intruding packet will not be NAT’d and dumped by the router.
There is no pathway from the internet to any of mymachine unless the packet is ESTABLISHED, RELATED

The best answer that I can find is that if you have and infected machine the firewall prevents it calling other machines.
Well my network is linux and mac machines only, so I guess that is of little concern

James
Dave Horsfall
2018-11-18 23:32:45 UTC
Post by James Linder
My motivation in continuing this thread is that unless macports users
are rare in Aussie (how sad that would be) then other macport users are
certain to have the magic big T$ modem. (T$ is joke reference to
Telstra) I do not use the modem wifi, apple do not play nice with furren
AC modems (my tests are 5Mb / sec close to a tp link and 35Mb to an
airport using my macbook)
I'm afraid that I can't help further then; the router (it's not a modem,
although that's a popular term for it) port-forwards SMTP etc to the
FreeBSD server, everything else is blocked by the router's firewall, and
Post by Dave Horsfall
And yes, you *do* need the firewall enabled
if you are running any sort of services on the Mac without some sort of a
firewall in place to restrict access then you are wide open (and quite
likely compromised by now). I use the router's firewall to protect my
network (and a secondary firewall on the FreeBSD server to protect itself
further, as it's the only box exposed to the evil Internet).
Post by James Linder
Any out going packet will be NAT’d and allowed back
Any intruding packet will not be NAT’d and dumped by the router.
There is no pathway from the internet to any of mymachine unless the packet is ESTABLISHED, RELATED
And if you have no firewall whatsoever (which you said you don't) then all
your ports are visible; you might want to bone up on basic firewall theory
(and this is the wrong place to discuss it)..
Post by James Linder
The best answer that I can find is that if you have and infected machine
the firewall prevents it calling other machines.
Only if you restrict outbound connections (which I don't); I'm gaining the
impression that you don't really understand firewalls....
Post by James Linder
Well my network is linux and mac machines only, so I guess that is of little concern
And this is *really* off-topic now; I'm surprised that Ryan & Co haven't
clamped down...

-- Dave
James Linder
2018-11-19 04:22:52 UTC
Post by Russell Jones
Post by j***@tigger.ws
Post by Ryan Schmidt
Post by j***@tigger.ws
[...]
connected to?
Russel I did explicitly make a rule for tcp/873, which surprised me by not working!!
After some thought I did not bother with wireshark, Since my modem is only NAT for machines on my network
* RFC state that no router (on internet) may route a private address packet
* The modem must dump any un ESTABLISHED,RELATED packet

The firewall could only assist if
* I had machine(s) with a public IP
* All the internet routers were broken and routed private IP packets to me
* My modem was broken and sent unknown packets to SOME MACHINE on my network
* I had an infected machine that tried to call out (to disclose keystrokes or infect other machines)

So just turning off the firewall is the easist way and pretty safe (If my modem was broken then why cant you hack it to have no firewall anyway.)
I think the huge amount of dis-infomation on the subject is akin to saying if you go hiking without a defibulator you are certain to die.

James
Dave Horsfall
2018-11-19 05:29:08 UTC
Post by James Linder
So just turning off the firewall is the easist way and pretty safe (If
my modem was broken then why cant you hack it to have no firewall
anyway.) I think the huge amount of dis-infomation on the subject is
akin to saying if you go hiking without a defibulator you are certain to
die.
As you appear to be impervious to advice from me and others (albeit being
off-topic) I will help you no further; good luck with T$'s helldesk...

To restate:

1) It is not a modem; it is a *router* with a built-in firewall[*]. You
are confusing the NBN with ADSL (the NBN is digital all the way, unless
you are unlucky enough to have FTTN, in which case you should have a
different NBN box to handle the VDSL analogue stream).

2) You appear to be the only one with a problem, and you are poking
around something that you plainly do not understand.

3) Unless you've fscked something up, It Just Works, OK?

Goodbye.

(Sorry, Ryan etc, but this is really getting to me.)

[*]
Which you can put into "bridge" mode, but that's probably beyond your ken.

-- Dave